Category Archives: community

Why I Teach

Last Monday, at the second-to-last meeting of my Writing Skills Workshop class at UC Berkeley Extension, one of the students said, “I don’t even want to think about saying good-bye to everyone.”  Her large, expressive eyes opened even wider, and … Continue reading

Posted in community, craft, teaching, writing | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Why I Teach

Some of My Best Friends Write Fiction

It’s true. It’s also true that some of the most difficult interactions I’ve had in recent years have been with fiction writers. Here’s an ugly little not-so-secret fact:  Fiction writers are competitive.  Fiction writers aren’t always straightforward, or sincere. We’re … Continue reading

Posted in agents, community, writing, writing groups | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

It’s been a good couple weeks on the fiction front. First, though, a confession:  I haven’t written in months – written written, that is.  My work has taken a backseat to wedding planning, helping organize two major moves (fiancé in; … Continue reading

Posted in community, craft, reading, teaching, writing, writing groups | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on

Moving Day

I spent the week packing, taping boxes, lifting boxes, taping, … You get the idea.  So, for today’s post, I’m linking to a recent piece I wrote for “Good Letter,” the blog of Image, a journal of art & faith … Continue reading

Posted in community, faith, reading, spirituality, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

The little things

When I’m in a writing slump, the littlest thing can make me doubt myself.  After a week of moving words around on the screen to little avail, or – more recently – a week of not opening a single writing … Continue reading

Posted in community, craft, reading, writing | Tagged , , , , , , , | 2 Comments